Media content is predominantly male-driven. For a long time, women struggled to find content which they can resonate with. Women have asserted themselves in media over the years, and their voices are finally being felt. Radio is one of the platforms where women are taking over and candidly discussing issues that are affecting them. If you are actually interested in setting up a radio station or producing content that is geared towards women, then you should know that there are numerous opportunities and topics that you can explore.
Topics to Discuss When Producing a Radio Show for Women
- Entrepreneurship: Women want to make money. They want to know of entrepreneurship opportunities which exist for them and how they can take advantage of these possibilities. A good topic for a show on women would be how to start up a business, some of the common mistakes that women make, how to overcome fear and dare to start their own business, among others. It would also be interesting to offer a list of entrepreneurship ideas that they can pursue and to motivate them, you can invite women who have made it as entrepreneurs in different sectors to give tips on how to break even.
- Relationships and sex: As much as this sounds cliche, research indicates that women love knowing how to make their relationship work. Even those who are in stable relationships would like to know how to make things better. If you are looking into producing a show for women, you should dedicate some time to talk about relationships. There is a wide range of sub-topics which can be explored in this area, including intimacy, conflict, dating, and balancing work and relationships, among other issues. Sex is also an issue that many women want to know about, but do not have a platform where they can hold candid yet intimate conversations. You can have a night-time show and give advice on issues that they may have.
- Money matters: Whether a woman is making a lot of money or not, they are always looking for information on where to invest it. You can break down money matters to them in ways which they understand so that they can make better decisions. The reality is, that most money matter issues that are being discussed are too complicated, or are delivered in a language that is not so easy for the average woman. You can tap into this market and give them something that they can relate to.
- Self-care: In the middle of all the chaos which defines modern life, sometimes all women want, is to be reminded of the importance of self care, and things that they need to do to maintain holistic health. A show or segment that talks about different aspects of self-care, ranging from beauty regimes, fashion, mental health, and other details, could make women feel empowered.
- Technology: Long gone are the days when technology and gadgets were domains left for men. Women are getting into this space and buying themselves some of the top-rated devices in the market. They are also on the lookout for technological advancements which can make their lives easier. It would help if an expert was giving a breakdown of how the technology works, and where to buy the latest gadgets.
Guide on Getting Topics to Discuss in a Women’s Radio Station
The main challenge for people who are producing radio shows is finding the right topic to discuss. Some of the tips on getting the right issues are as follows:
- Conduct a survey: A proven way to get the views of women on what they would love to hear in radio shows would be to do a survey. You can create a poll online and get the opinions of women from different backgrounds. The results can nudge you towards creating the right content based on what the audience wants. You can also involve professional data collectors to help you. Another way of doing a survey is by using social media polls, such as the ones available on Facebook.
- Do research: Before you start radio production, you should embark on research to find out areas which have not been overdone. Doing research is one of the best ways to identify a niche market where you can give unique content and attract more listeners. Your research should go far and wide, including listening to radio stations from your potential competitors, to identify areas where they have got it right, and the ones that need improvement.
- Be on the lookout for social media: Social media is becoming a powerful tool where people have candid discussions on every day things which are affecting their lives. It can be an excellent source to find emerging topics that can make good conversation on the radio.
- Invite experts: When looking for different topics which you can explore, experts can be an exciting addition to the show. They always bring with them a more in-depth knowledge of the subject, and some of them have a following that will add to your audience. Make sure that the experts you invite are credible, and have deep knowledge on the topic they are discussing.
The most crucial aspect when coming up with content for women is to be confident. Believe in yourself and be open to taking advice and criticism from other producers who have done it before. Always try and reach out to as many people as possible to get their input.