The internet has revolutionised every aspect of our lives. One of the areas that has changed due to the penetration of the internet is media. Long gone are the days when people would huddle around a radio set to listen to the news or their favourite music. With live streaming, people can now listen to their favourite shows wherever they are, whenever they want.
What Is Live Streaming?
This is media content that is recorded and broadcast in real-time, unlike other types of media content that are pre-recorded, edited and then sent to the audiences. Live streaming is different from other streamed content such as YouTube videos, video-on-demand programmes that are otherwise streamed but not live.
What Can Be Streamed or Watched Live Online?
- Sports: If you are an ardent follower of any sport, you do not have to worry about missing out on how your favourite team is performing. Major sporting events such as the English Premier League, World Cup, Olympics and basketball games often streamed live. No doubt that all one needs is a stable internet connection to watch the entire sport. The 2018 World Cup was streamed by millions of viewers, showing how popular live streaming has become.
- News: Both breaking and developing news can be streamed live from websites of main news sites. News organisations always have an elaborate guide about how to access the news items that are being live-streamed. Some of the most-streamed news events are speeches given by political leaders such as the former US president Barack Obama.
- Television programmes: Producers of popular TV shows have been using live streaming to get more viewers. Shows such as Game of Thrones are some of the shows that have got a good following after live streaming.
- Casino games: Betting companies have taken up live streaming as one of the best ways to get more people to place bets on their sites. Most of them have live dealer blackjack games where players can actually see the dealer spin like they would in a real casino.
- Radio shows: Radio is changing, and most of the stations are now available for live streaming for listeners around the world. With live streaming, radio stations are no longer restrained by physical barriers that frequencies used to confide them to. With live streaming, listeners can listen to different radio stations wherever they are.
- Social media interactions: There are social media platforms such as Facebook that allow users to produce and broadcast live videos. This can be done on an individual’s page, or through a group page. It is one of the popular ways that organisations have been using to communicate with their audience in real-time. Twitter has a popular live streaming option called Periscope, while Facebook is simply Facebook Live.
- Video games: Companies that make video games have now advanced considerably and are making games that can be played in real-time. Games such as esports have attracted a significant number of players due to the fact that players feel like they are engaging in play with a real person in real-time.
Even though live streaming is popular, it can also come with some risks and some people, including terrorists, have been able to misuse the live options by committing heinous acts online. The gains, however, outweigh the ills that can come out of it.